PLA Investment Plan
The PLA Investment Plan, launched in May 2018 has the twin objectives of accelerating delivery of Thames Vision goals and diversifying our income streams.
Investments are likely to be focussed on riparian land acquisitions, long term river infrastructure development, environmental improvements, and public benefit projects supporting greater river use in all its forms. Through the development of partnerships we will look to leverage in funding from the private and public sectors.
All investments will have a clear link to the PLA Strategy to Protect, Improve and Promote; they will also be judged on the degree to which they enable the delivery of the ambitions set out in the Thames Vision.
We are targeting three broad categories of investment, with income varying, according to the assessed level of project risk, and the category of investment.
The three investment categories are:
• Category 1 – commercial investments, supporting river/port use, generating commercial rates of return
• Category 2 – long term investments with a long payback period, which also deliver public benefits
• Category 3 – public benefit investments, with no financial return expected
Recognising that the PLA must remain a profitable entity which generates funds for further investment, the majority of our investments are expected to be in categories 1, and 2.
The key criteria for assessing proposals are that any investment must benefit the tidal Thames, align with the PLA Strategy and the Thames Vision, to satisfy at least one of the following:
• Generate more trade and more jobs, or secure existing economic activities on the river
• Generate more inland freight on the river
• Increase the number of passengers using the river
• Generate more sport and recreation safely carried out on the river
• Improve the environment and the habitat of the river, or immediately adjoining PLA riparian land
• Increase community and cultural use of the river
Proposals for Investment
Full details of our Investment Strategy and Criteria can be read in the Investment Plan.
Potential partners for investments that meet the criteria set out in this document should contact PLA chief financial officer, Julie Tankard (Julie.Tankard@pla.co.uk) in the first instance.