Port Security Policy
The Port of London Authority (PLA) is the statutory harbour authority for the Port of London. It has also been designated a “strategic authority” by the UK Government in respect of the requirements of the International Ship and Port Facility Security (ISPS) Code. This role includes responsibilities in respect of security matters in the wider port environment and impacts directly on the PLA’s internal security culture and arrangements.
Under the umbrella of relevant ISPS legislation, the PLA will:
- Develop and maintain an appropriate PLA Port Security Plan, which meets the requirements of the ISPS Code; and co-ordinate, communicate and facilitate the implementation of security measures required by the Plan to the port community, as appropriate;
- Ensure the effective management and resourcing of internal security arrangements in order to meet the requirements of the PLA Port Security Plan; and
- Contribute to the maintenance of an effective port security regime as a leading member of, and provide the secretariat function for, the Thames Port Security Authority (PSA).
Through the Thames PSA we will:
- *Provide up to date advice, best practice and information on current security developments, and on the implementation of the PSA Port Security Plan and Port Facility Security Plans, to the port community; and
- Contribute effectively to security training and testing of the PSA Port Security Plan.
In the wider context of the PLA’s commitment to, and co-operation on, marine security matters in the region, we will:
- contribute effectively, as required and as circumstances permit, to the relevant regional Police Portal Groups, providing information, support and resources to the groups as appropriate;
- work closely with the Metropolitan, Kent and Essex Police forces to ensure an effective security regime across all harbour districts; and
- contribute effectively, as required and as circumstances permit, to the co-ordination and improvement of national initiatives to enhance regional maritime security and deter, prevent and compromise maritime terrorist action.
This policy was approved by the Port of London Authority Board on 05/12/2017