Thames foreshore access including metal detecting, searching and digging.
Anyone wishing to search the tidal Thames foreshore in any way for any reason must hold a current foreshore permit from the Port of London Authority.
Searching includes all such activities including searching; metal detecting; digging, or ‘scraping’
Type of Permits
The PLA issues two types of foreshore permits.
- Standard - allows digging to a depth of 7.5 cm
- Mudlark - allows digging to a depth of 1.2m and access to certain areas prohibited to Standard Permit holders
- Applications received within the 'renewal period' will be issued with a three year permit running from the 1st December.
- Applications received outside the 'renewal period' will be issued with a three year permit running from the preceding 1st January.
- Adult £77
- Junior (12-17yrs) £38 (must be accompanied by a permit holding adult)
- Daily £33
Applying for a permit
If you wish to pay by credit/debit card please indicate on page 2 of the application form and you will be provided with a contacted phone number for payment when your application for a permit is processed. Please do not email or send credit card details via post.