Albert Island Shipyard, Newham, East London
Expressions of Interest Sought
The Port of London Authority (PLA) is seeking written expressions of interest from shipyard operators with proven maritime repair, maintenance and build capability to develop and operate a new facility on the River Thames which has received an outline planning consent.
The subject site is located at Albert Island Royal Docks London E7 and extends to approximately 3.3 acres (full brochure as a PDF). Navigational access to the site is indicated on PLA Chart 325 – Gallions Reach and tidal details.
The Harbour Master has indicated that, subject to not impeding safe navigation, and subject to the finer details being approved, a boat lift and possibly a jetty extending beyond the drying line may be acceptable as part of the scheme.
The selected operator will be expected to obtain all relevant consents subject to these being in accordance with the policies in the London Plan, Newham Local Plan and further in relation to the statutory responsibilities of the PLA, the Marine Management Organisation (MMO), Environment Agency (EA) and freeholder/leaseholders.
The preferred operator will be selected based on a range of selection criteria. Accordingly, submissions should focus on the following:
- How the proposed Operator meets the outlined criteria, set out in the attached background details and context document
- Details of the operator’s financial and trading history, together with any further information that the operator considers relevant to the consideration of their expression of interest
The successful operator will also need to demonstrate how they are responding to the changing demands of environmental sustainability and the PLA’s desire to reduce the carbon footprint of all traffic on the river Thames.
The PLA trusts this represents an interesting opportunity, and we look forward to hearing from operators accordingly. Please forward your submission electronically to John Ball at email@example.com. (If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact John Ball on the email address as listed.)
The site is located at Albert Island and extends to approximately 3.3 acres (as outlined in red in the diagram above), downstream of the Thames Barrier, within the Beckton area of the London Borough of Newham.
Navigational access to the site is indicated on PLA Chart 325 – Gallions Reach and tidal details.
Operators will need clearly to demonstrate:
Evidence of current experience in the following areas:
- Ship and vessel repairs
- Maintenance of all types of maritime craft that operate on the Thames
- Ability to build and construct craft
- Ability to address the increasing demands for ‘green’ vessels and operations within the yard and on the river
- Proven track record of success in delivering a similar business
Please provide an outline five-year business plan for the yard, which should include the following:
- Strategic proposal outlining the nature of the business to be developed
- A five-year sales development plan providing a summary of the different revenue streams. Specifically, please provide details on target markets and products; opportunities to develop new green initiatives and the creation of synergies with existing and future operations on the River Thames and estuary
- Use of the river to import and export material, plant and machinery by water
- Financial offer to secure this long leasehold opportunity
- Details of your rental offer to secure this opportunity
- Lease term required
- Details of the operator’s financial position. Please provide copies of annual reports for the last three years, together with any other financial information which will be treated as confidential.
Note: The PLA is only offering a leasehold interest, tailored to the needs of the operator. The length of the lease term is open for discussion. As a result of the interest in the site, no incentives will be offered at this time. Albert Island Development scheme – see https://albertisland.London and Search 20/00051/FUL on the London Borough of Newham Planning portal
Additional points of note
- Building footprint: 85,000 sq. ft – height of the units limited to 22m, if constructed within the Public Safety Zone (PSZ) (Note: sheds to be constructed by the occupier)
- Storage area: minimum of 75,000 sq. ft
- Employment levels: minimum of 140 will be permitted with the PSZ though this is variable, depending upon the tenant's requirements
- Operational hours: seeking 24/7 working, but this may be subject to change
- Target date: seeking commencement of operation by late 2023/early 2024
Potential site constraints
- Electrical supply: currently limited to 500kva
- Water supply: 90mm supply
- Flood gates: Environment Agency seeking confirmation that these will be maintained and repaired by the operator
- Height restriction: 22m, due to airport PSZ
- Full-time employees: numbers working full time within the PSZ
Site features and services
The site will be prepared and serviced by the developer (London & Regional) at their cost to the following minimum specification:
- Flood gates (option I): min.18m wide (6.15 AOD)
- Floodwall: any improvement / raising of the fall to meet the 2100 targets
All services to be placed prior to the concrete slab being laid this will include:
- Electrical supply: min 2000kva
- Gas supply: to meet the needs of 85000 sq. ft of industrial space
- Portable water: min 101.60 mm pipe
- Foul water: sewage (foul water)
- Inceptor tanks: dirty oil and sewage)
- Surface water pipe work including any pumps and attenuation tankage
- Ducting for telecom (min. of 2 ducts)
- Piling and concrete pad – piling of the site and provision of a concrete pad capable of surcharge of 200 KN/m2 for the area that will be covered by the industrial buildings and 50 KN/m2 for the open yard.
- All works due to be completed by June 2023
Other important criteria
Consents – the prospective tenant will be expected to obtain the following consents:
- Detailed planning consent
- Environmental permits and consents
- MMO license
- River Works Licenses from the PLA in respect of any surface water discharges and any in rivers works (including dredging licenses)
- Superior landlord consents
Passenger Safety Zone
Albert Island: Ship lift options
Above: Syncro Lift
Above: Travel Hoist
Above: Wedge Slipway