PLA's Environment Mission Statement
The Port of London Authority is a harbour authority, a licencing authority and a landowner. This means we have certain commitments to provide environmental stewardship and champion environmental best practice. In our own Act we are required to maintain and improve the conservancy of the river and estuary.
In our commitment to sustainable development, following high level documents like the Marine Policy Statement, we have set out some key objectives in our policy to ensure we achieve our goals:
- We have an environmental management system that we maintain and improve, we are regularly audited for our compliance to ISO14001
- We manage our estate in order to promote and improve the protected sites and species, or we support stewardship schemes where we can.
- We maintain an active membership to ESPO following best practice guidance like the Green Guide.
- We are focused on preventing pollution of the Thames. We maintain a high level of readiness, by training and planning, should there be a major pollution incident.
- We are always looking for ways to improve our energy efficiency, by monitoring our carbon footprint, and complying with the Energy Savings Opportunity Scheme (ESOS) Regulations.
- We have committed to monitor and maintain the carbon footprint of our operation and meet our 25% reduction target from our 2014 baseline by 2020.