Our new strategy is centred on three core roles for the PLA:
- Protect – targeting Zero Harm and improved sustainability
- Improve – running efficient operations and investing to support growing river use
- Promote – leading the Thames Vision to unlock the potential of the Thames
These broad aspirations reflect our role, as Custodians of the Tidal Thames. It’s an approach we are backing with investment, particularly around improving river infrastructure.
Our strategy is aimed at helping deliver the Thames Vision goals which see the river becoming increasingly busy over the next twenty years. We expect all aspects of river use to grow: an essential route for trade and travel, a value and improving environment and a great place to spend leisure time and appreciate the heritage along the Thames.
Alongside our focus on working with stakeholders, we are shaping a strong and effective PLA which will support growth through creating a ‘virtuous circle’. By delivering on our commitments to Protect, Improve and Promote we will help develop the competitiveness and sustainability of port and river operations, supporting growing river use, generating a financial return, which we can invest again in protecting, improving and promoting.
This is consistent with our role as a Trust Port, with no shareholders, running the river in trust for the benefit of future generations.
Our ambitions for each of our core roles are:
- Zero harm: driving safety improvements in the port and on the river
- More sustainable port and river operations and improving habitats
- An ever more competitive service organisation, easy for customers to do business with
- Investing to support growing river use
- Planning and development authorities more actively promoting river use for freight and passengers
- Growing use of the river for sports, recreational
Find out more about our strategy: